Monday, March 15, 2010

Grocery Shopping makes me feel like an utter failure.



Seriously, I should know better then to venture into the grocery store hungry and without a list. Simply put it is the equivalent of unleashing a rabid dog on a group of small school children - ugly, unnecessary and cruel. I was stuck at work longer then normal, so as soon as I got home the husband and I headed out to purchase some much needed groceries. All I had today was two slim fast shakes and at that point my stomach was making noises that could be heard by the entire crowd at Walmart. So we grabbed our cart and then grabbed crap to put in it. We did not have a list, we had no idea what meals we were planning on making this week and honestly I did not have my head on straight to make any rational food decision. So after 30 min, we sauntered out of the store with a pile of junk including but not limited to: Enchiladas, cheese dip (aptly named "Gordo" - which is FAT in Spanish), extra butter popcorn and more slim fast. Immediately I felt guilty, scratch that, I felt GUILTY the whole time but it did not set in until the register where I mindlessly picked up a copy of Life & Style and wept at all the stars in bikinis. I know I am my own worst enemy but instead of getting down on myself for the next three days I just need to figure out what needs to change about the situation for next time.

K.Wright's "Not To Do" list:
1. Do not enter any store that sells food without a list.
2. Do not think that you can come up with a nutritious menu standing in the frozen food aisle.
3. Never buy a Mexican dipping cheese called Gordo. It is called "fat" for a reason.
4. Do not buy any more Mexican dipping cheese at all - regardless of the name.
5.Do not buy anything that has the word "extra" in it... unless it is referring to how it is extra low fat.

K. Wright's what to do list:
1. Do make good choice BEFORE you set foot in the store
2. Stick to those choices.
3. Avoid Walmart - shop somewhere else.
4. Start posting my list on the blog to be held accountable.
5. Make sure I have a healthy small snack before I go shopping
6. Bring an Ipod and listen to happy music while I fight my way through the aisles.

Up Next: Is Slim Fast Making Me Lazy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you could stand up, with only 2 slim fasts for nourishment. (What can I say? I'm a pig.*g*)

    Good for you for figuring out the positive lesson in it and developing a plan to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cammy! It is all a learning process right?

    ReplyDelete